Wednesday 30 October 2013

Brighton bound (soon)


It's that time of the year again, when the great and the good (and the rest of us) of the horror (and fantasy & sci-fi) genre gather in Brighton for a long weekend of laughing, talking, buying books and catching up with friends old and new.

This year, FantasyCon has been subsumed into the World Fantasy Convention, one I've never actually attended before.  As much as I look forward to FCon every year (I already have my ticket for 2014, which is being held in York), on this occasion I'm going to be like a crazed fanboy as several international writers (some of whom I've corresponded with for years online, others I am in awe of from reading and watching their work) will be in attendance.

No ROADTRIP!!! with Jay & Selina this year unfortunately (though I'll see them there and Jay has already organised the first night curry trip), instead I am going down by train with my old friend Sue Moorcroft.  She's not a horror writer but she's endured enough with me over the years to know what she's letting herself in for and, as a writing tutor, she's looking forward to the weekend as (as she puts it) 'a tourist'.  In case you're not aware of her or her terrific work, this link will take you to a lengthy interview I conducted with her earlier this year.

The convention programme is packed and varied - I can see myself flitting around the hotel like a fly, missing as many things as I actually manage to get to - but I have friends launching books and appearing on panels (which I will get to) and I'm also involved in the Spectral Press gathering (though I'm not sure what day that's on).

It's going to be a great weekend and I'm really looking forward to it - if you see me, say hello!  As for the blog, I'll post a full report when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment